In the last few months, I’ve provided information to 3 people about how to get a Missouri real estate license. If you are thinking about becoming a MO agent and live in the St. Louis area, I’m happy to meet with you for lunch or coffee to talk about what is involved in getting licensed and if it is the right career path for you.
In order to obtain a MO real estate license, you will need to be at least 18 years old, complete 72 hours of classwork, pass an exam and submit an application to the state of Missouri.
Here are the steps to obtain a real estate salesperson (agent) license in Missouri:
- Complete a 48 hour pre-exam salesperson class from an accredited Missouri real estate school
- Pass both the state and federal portions of the Missouri salesperson exam after completion of the 48 hour pre-exam class
- Complete the 24 hour Missouri real estate practice course after completion of the 48 hour pre-exam class (can be taken before or after taking the exam)
- Choose a broker to hold your license
- Apply for a license with the MO Real estate commission within 6 months of completing the 48 hour pre-exam class
There are reduced requirements for licensed attorneys and people who hold an active license outside of the state of Missouri.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a License?
There are costs involved in getting a real estate license, but they are pretty minimal when you consider the cost of obtaining training and certification or licensing in many other fields.
- Classwork – prices vary (see list of approved providers)
- Exam fee – $54
- License application fee – $50
- Salesperson license – $40
Once you obtain your license, there are additional fees that you will need to pay to get started. If you will be working in the St. Louis area, most brokerages will require you to join:
- National Association of Realtors
- Missouri Association of Realtors
- St. Louis Association of Realtors
- Mid America Regional Information System (MLS access)
- GE Security Supra (lockbox access)
Have more questions?
To learn more about Keller Williams Realty, visit ConsiderKW.com.
Latest posts by Karen Goodman (see all)
- How Much Do St. Louis Home Sellers Come Down on Price? - March 20, 2015
- Home for Sale: 917 Kiefer Ridge Drive (West County) - March 13, 2015
- Ride Your Bike from St. Charles to Creve Coeur Park - March 11, 2015