Quantcast

How to Become a Real Estate Agent in Missouri

Obtain a MO real estate license

In the last few months, I’ve provided information to 3 people about how to get a Missouri real estate license. If you are thinking about becoming a MO agent and live in the St. Louis area, I’m happy to meet with you for lunch or coffee to talk about what is involved in getting licensed and if it is the right career path for you.

Getting Licensed:

In order to obtain a MO real estate license, you will need to be at least 18 years old, complete 72 hours of classwork, pass an exam and submit an application to the state of Missouri.

Young woman getting MO real estate license

Here are the steps to obtain a  real estate salesperson (agent) license in Missouri:

1. Complete a 48 hour pre-exam salesperson class from an accredited Missouri real estate school
  2. Pass both the state and federal portions of the Missouri salesperson exam after completion of the 48 hour pre-exam class
  3. Complete the 24 hour Missouri real estate practice course after completion of the 48 hour pre-exam class (can be taken before or after taking the exam)
  4. Choose a broker to hold your license
  5. Apply for a license with the MO Real estate commission within 6 months of completing the 48 hour pre-exam class

There are reduced requirements for licensed attorneys and people who hold an active license outside of the state of Missouri.

See details on how these individuals get licensed or you can obtain a broker’s license in MO…

How Much Does it Cost to Get a License?

There are costs involved in getting a real estate license, but they are pretty minimal when you consider the cost of obtaining training and certification or licensing in many other fields.

Once you obtain your license, there are additional fees that you will need to pay to get started. If you will be working in the St. Louis area, most brokerages will require you to join:

Have more questions?

Take a look at the MO Real Estate Candidate Handbook or send me a note and I’ll try to help.

To learn more about Keller Williams Realty, visit ConsiderKW.com.

Arch City Homes
5501 Pershing Ave St. LouisMO63112 USA
 • 314-352-5200
The following two tabs change content below.
Karen Goodman leads the Arch City Homes Team with Circa Properties, assisting home sellers and buyers in St. Louis, MO. Karen offers limited advertising space on her websites and manages social media and blogging services to brands. Karen's other website ~ Future Expat ~ covers food, dogs, travel, lifestyle and technology topics.

11 Responses

1. Stacy says:

Hello,

I am interested in becoming a real estate agent in Missouri and would appreciate your recommendation on the best school to attend as well as agency to affiliate myself with.

Thank you.

• It’s been so many years since I got licensed that I really can’t recommend a school. Most any of them are probably fine. As far as which brokerage, that really depends on your needs. Do you want to be a part of a big office with lots of ongoing training through classes? Do you want to be in a small office that offers more informal training through mentoring instead of formal classes?

What town are you in and I might be able to make some suggestions as I’ve been at both big and small companies.

• Isaac says:

Hello,
        In respect of Stacy question,kindly share your experience with both the big and small companies and which will be good to build a career.

• There isn’t a simple answer to which company to work with. I’ve been with both small independently owned companies and a large franchise. They offer different things and it depends on the personality and needs of the agent. There are agents happy at every company, and agents that don’t belong at those same companies too. I’m happy to share my thoughts one on one with people about the options in St. Louis. If you live someplace else, your best bet is to find a couple of agents you know and ask them for their candid opinions.

2. Mindy Moore says:

Hi Karen!

I’m very interested in becoming a real estate agent in St. Louis. I know there are a few options when starting this career path. Some companies have advertise that they will pay for licensing/ training. Is this the best way to go ( opposed to paying for the course outright)? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

• Mindy,

I’m happy to talk to you to discuss some options with you. I’ve been at a few different brokerages and should be able to help you think through your options. Free free to give me a call tomorrow if you have time at 314-265-8073.

3. Shannon Davis says:

I am interested n becoming a real estate agent & would love to meet & go over all specifics if possible.

Contact info
    636-221-2337

4. Denise says:

I work as a tax preparer in southeast Missouri. I have always wanted to venture into the real estate business, but went into taxes instead. Now as tax season comes to a close I would like to pursue this opportunity. Ideally I would like to work mainly as a real estate agent during the summer and cut back some during the winter months. I’m just not sure how to get started. I guess I’m just looking for some pointers. What to expect in the real estate business and what things to avoid when trying to achieve my goal. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon

• Denise –

It’s hard to make a go of real estate as a part time job in my opinion, but it might be more feasible in a smaller town where there are limited people selling real estate. I find that I’m very busy during tax season…this is the time of year when I’m talking to people who then list from late winter to early summer. My suggestion is to talk to some local brokers about how it could work for you to work the schedule you want.

Good luck!

5. Chato says:

I have become very interested in becoming a real estate agent since searching for my home. Is there any specific place in St. Louis county I should go? What is the average amount of time it takes to complete the process?