St. Louis homeowners who are considering major landscaping projects may be eligible for up to $2,000 in rebates. Before spending money this spring on major projects, eligible residents should see if delaying their plans until later this year or next year could save them a lot of money. Rainscaping design

 Rainscaping Image Credit: Missouri Botanical Gardens

 The Deer Creek Watershed Alliance, a project of the Missouri Botanical Garden, is offering rebates to homeowners who install landscaping that will improve stormwater management. Plants that absorb the rain where it lands prevents excess water run-off and improves the quality of water in nearby creeks. The Deer Creek RainScape program is providing funds to homeowners, businesses, churches, schools and parks to improve the water quality in Deer Creek Watershed.

Who is Eligible for the RainScape Rebate?

St. Louis municipalities that fall in the Deer Creek Watershed Alliance are eligible for the RainScapes rebate:

  • Brentwood
  • Clayton
  • Creve Coeur
  • Crystal Lake Park
  • Des Peres
  • Frontenac
  • Glendale
  • Huntleigh
  • Kirkwood
  • Ladue
  • Maplewood
  • Olivette
  • Richmond Heights
  • Rock Hill
  • University City
  • Warson Woods
  • Webster Groves

The program allocates 75% of the rebate funds for homeowners. The remaining 25% will be awarded to businesses, churches, schools and parks. A maximum rebate of 75% of eligible expenses, up to $2,000, is available to those who have approved applications prior to doing the work.

What Landscaping Projects are Eligible?

Landscaping features must convert a minimum of 100 square feet of existing lawn or restore a minimum 100 square feet of woodland.

Eligible Projects include:

  • Native soil rain gardens
  • Engineered bioretention rain gardens
  • Lawn alternatives
  • Soil amendments
  • Bioswales
  • Rock weirs
  • Compost filter socks
  • Creek corridor vegetative buffers
  • Woodland restoration
  • Rainwater harvesting – rain barrels or cisterns
  • Green roofs
  • Permeable pavers

Descriptions of each of the eligible projects…

All funding is for rainscaping features installed after the “notice to proceed” has been received by an applicant.

What are the Program Application Periods?

The RainScape program has 3 funding periods. The application deadline for Round 1 has already passed. Homeowners who are thinking about making major improvements to their yard should mark their calendars to apply for Round 2 or Round 3.

Round 2 Dates:

Applications Available: May 15, 2013

Application Deadline: July 15, 2013

Project Approval Notifications: August 15, 2013

Planting Time: Fall 2013 and Spring 2014

Round 3 Dates:

Applications Available: November 15, 2013

Application Deadline: February 5, 2014

Project Approval Notifications: March 15, 2014

Planting Time: Spring and Fall 2014

For more information, visit the Deer Creek Watershed Alliance rebate page…

The following two tabs change content below.
Karen Goodman leads the Arch City Homes Team with Circa Properties, assisting home sellers and buyers in St. Louis, MO. In order to provide the best possible service to her clients, Karen works with a limited number of clients at a time.